Shat Gombuj Masjid (Sixty-dome Mosque) – Tourism Info

Welcome to

  • facebook
  • twitter
  • instagram
  • youtube
  • flickr

Shat Gombuj Masjid (Sixty-dome Mosque)

Bagerhat is called a town of mosques. In the Middle Ages, this region was known as Khalifatabad. Many mosques were set up at that time, but still those mosques survive. Shat Gombuj Mosque is the biggest of all the ancient mosques in Bangladesh and it is one of the attractive evidences of the Muslims sculptures in Indian subcontinent. According to historians eminent saint and administrator Khan Al-Azam Ulug Khan who was known as Khan Jahan Ali ( R ) founded the mosque in the middle of the 15th century. After he had conquered a vast region of south Bangla, he then named that region Khalifatabad in honor of the then Sultan Nasir Uddin Shah (1435-59 AD) of Delhi. Centering on this Shat Gombuj Masjid, Hazrat Khan Jahan Ali conducted administrative management of Bagerhat-Khulna regions until his death (1459 AD). As he performed religious rites and activities in the mosque, so he settled all the matters relating to justice and adjudication in the mosque too. Shat Gombuj Mosque is the largest of all the mosques that were made of brick, lime and brick-dust in Bangladesh. The measure of the inner side of the huge mosque is 44 metres north-south longwise, and 27 metres east-west longwise. Though the name of the mosque is Shat Gombuj Mosque, it has 77 domes on the roof, 4 domes at four corners and in all it has 81 domes. The mosque stands on sixty pillars, and perhaps for this it is called Shat Gombuj. There are in all 10 semi-round prayer niches. This mosque is the best and largest of all architectutal works built by Khan Jahan Ali (R). It is presumed that he built this mosque in 1450 AD. Besides this Shat Gombuj Masjid, the nine-doomed brick-built square mosque, the Jinda Pir Tomb Complex and the Chuna Khola Mosque were built contemporaneously. From the prayer niche, all the ends around the mosque can directly be viewed. The pillars are set in such angular positions that they do not block the sight anywhere. As in the present time, sand and cement are used with bricks, and foundation is laid by placing brick upon brick, so mostly in the same way the pillars were built up to a measurable height by putting materials other than sand and cement on one stone upon another stone. Mostly parched clay slabs and bricks have been used for artistic beauty in the mosque. Recently the UNESCO declared the Shat Gombuj Masjid as the ‘World Heritage.’ In front of the mosque, there is a large water pond which is called Ghoradighi. A good number of native and foreign tourists come to visit the mosque.

For site suggestions and errors, please contact info@tourisminfobd.com