Mirzanagar Hammam – Tourism Info

Welcome to

  • facebook
  • twitter
  • instagram
  • youtube
  • flickr

Mirzanagar Hammam

This Hammam (Turkish bath) is situated at Mirzanagar village under Keshabpur upazila. During the period of Emperor Aurangzeb (1658-1707 AD), when Nurullah Khan was appointed Faujdar (commandant) then he built ‘Killabari’ (fort-house) on the south bank of the Buri Bhadra River and settled down there. He managed to dig extensive trenches around the fort which was east-west lengthwise. Then he built 3 metre (10 feet) high walls and named it as ‘Matijhil’. It has the drawing room and the bathroom in one part of it and to the east of the fort there was the main gate. At present nothing other than the bathroom exists. The bathroom made of bricks is still regarded as the well protected bathroom in the country. Inside the four-domed building there remain four open rooms and a deep well, which is 2.75m (9’) in diameter, made of bricks. In the west side, there are two rooms measuring 5.7m X 5.1m (18.7’ x 17.0’) each and in the east side, one room is 3.7m X 3m (12.1’ x 10.0’) and another one is 3m X 2m (10.0’ x 6.6’) in size. The only entrance lies with the west wall and the attached room measuring 5m x 5m (16.4 x 16.4) is assumed to be the make-up room. There is one niche on each wall around the room. From the make-up room one can go straight to another square-shaped room through the arched bow-shaped entrance. The room was used to change clothes. On the north-south corner there remains a small water reservoir. And on the eastern side of this water reservoir room, there are two extended dome-shaped rooms which were likely used as the master bathroom. There is no big window in the room but a passage was made for the light to pass through only one small semi-round window-like hole. The four adjacent rooms on the east outside were likely used as water tanks. The water held in the tanks could be supplied through the clay made pipe to the reservoirs in the bathrooms. There is a three-domed old mosque built at that time on the south bank of the Kapotakkha River, which one and a half kilometres away from the Hammam.

For site suggestions and errors, please contact info@tourisminfobd.com